Is the Pegan Diet Right for You?


Is the Pegan Diet Right for You?
Is the Pegan Diet Right for You?

With so many people trying to lose weight at any given time, there are loads of weight loss diets out there to help you along the way. On the other hand, if you want to change up your diet for health reasons, there are loads of other options for you. If you want to drop a few pounds and get healthy, the Pegan Diet might be right for you. As with any diet, it’s best to talk things over with your doctor before getting started. In the meantime, here’s what you need to know about the Pegan Diet.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Please subscribe for your personalized newsletter:


What is the Pegan Diet?

The Pegan Diet is a mixture of the paleo and the vegan styles of eating. That means you’ll be consuming a large amount of vegetables combined with small amounts of meat. You won’t be allowed to have any dairy foods or sugar of any kind. This can make it hard to stick to since the meal plan is so restrictive. Take this into consideration before you decide to try things out.


Focus on Healthy Fats

The Pegan Diet isn’t a really low fat diet. Some people shy away from fat because it can cause weight gain. However, your body needs some healthy fats just to function. Health fats also give your body energy for daily tasks. Focus on the healthy fats such as avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds, coconut oil and sesame seed oil. These oils improve health and satisfy hunger so you aren’t so tempted to snack between meals.


Follow the 75-25 Rule when You Plan Your Meals

Because the Pegan Diet combines the best of the paleo and vegan ways of eating, you will be eating mostly plant foods. The experts suggest making 75 percent of your diet fruits and vegetables with a small amount of grains. The other 25 percent should be animal proteins like eggs, chicken or fish. This helps satisfy your nutrient needs and keeps your body healthy.


When You Eat Grains, Go for Gluten-Free Ones

Grains aren’t a huge part of the Pegan Diet, but when you follow the plan, you should be choosing gluten-free grains. Why? Because when you eat paleo, you eat like our ancestors and that means there wasn’t a lot of wheat to be had. Choose amaranth, millet or spelt instead and keep your intake balanced with produce and meat.


The Pegan Diet Can Improve Your Health

According to experts, eating a diet rich in fruits and veggies and low in sugar can help protect you from developing diabetes. Research also says that eating the Pegan way can help lower your cholesterol, which is a good way to protect yourself from developing heart disease.


Think about Nutrient Deficiencies

When you eliminate certain food groups from your diet, you run the risk of nutrient deficiencies. By cutting out dairy altogether, you limit the amount of calcium and vitamin D you take in. This can pose problems for your bones. Be sure to talk to your doctor about a supplement to cover any gaps in your eating plan.


You Aren’t Going to Lose a Ton of Weight

The Pegan style of eating is more about getting healthy than losing weight. By cutting sugar and eating more low-calorie fruits and veggies, you might drop a few pounds, but if your main objective is shedding weight, you may want to choose a diet that is lower in fat and calories than this one.

Have you ever tried the Pegan Diet? What tips can you share?

Feedback Junction

Where Thoughts and Opinions Converge

Very true @ rad-dizzle

I follow pretty much this diet already for health reasons and you will lose weight. A ton! You're not consuming any sugar and your carbs are from veggies, which are all water based vegetables. All omega fats make you lose weight! You will never feel better and look better! Your skin and hair will never be better too! Try it! It's hard at first but then it's gets easier. Modify it as you go longer on the diet, but you cannot have any sugar.

Related Topics

the amazing jessica jones Can Your Weight Affect Your Sex Life pollyanna principle psychology this exercise is too easy Why Are You Attracted to Assholes should i take a break from social media dead end relationship arrogant vs confident going to bed hungry lose weight should i respond to his text

Popular Now